Norwalk Historical Society

• Mill Hill Historic Park •
2 East Wall St. • Norwalk, CT

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1640
Norwalk, CT 06852

Tel: (203) 846-0525
Email:
info@norwalkhistoricalsociety.org

Contents of this website
Copyright ©2006
Norwalk Historical Society



 
     
Recognizing early Norwalk structures
and those who built them
     

Founded in 1651, Norwalk played a vital part in the early growth of Connecticut and our nation. Historic buildings of Norwalk are a lasting reminder of this rich history and of the people who lived here.

The purpose of The Norwalk Historical Society Building Plaque Program is to call attention to the historic character of our city and give recognition to early buildings such as houses, barns, and stores - and to the people who built them.

Plaques with the official seal of the Norwalk Historical Society are available through the society for Norwalk houses and other buildings which are 100 years and older. To qualify for a plaque, the building must be documented according to the Historical Society procedures and recognizable as a historic building.

Does a NHS Plaque restrict any future alterations of the house or building?

No, the purpose of the plaque is to recognize the historic nature of the building and in no way restricts any
sort of alteration.

By what means is the date of the house determined?

The dating of the house is done by deed research (and other primary source information) as well as by architectural review.

 
     

  What is the cost?

The cost of the research report and a plaque is $400. A professional report prepared by the Historical Society includes documented historic research.

The white hardwood plaque is approximately 10" wide by 12" high with the official seal of the Norwalk Historical Society and bears the name and date of the building. This classically designed plaque is a distinctive way of honoring the building and its owners.
The Jacob St. John House c. 1724
     

Download NHS Plaque Application form

Note: this PDF format document requires Adobe Reader software, available here for free.

 

For more information, call 203-846-0525 or email the address below.

info@norwalkhistoricalsociety.org

 
    Back to top
Currently Plaqued Houses
     
Thomas Hyatt House  
1677
Jacob St. John House  
1724
Governor Fitch Law Office  
c. 1740
Captain Eli Reed House  
c. 1780
Hezekiah Jarvis House  
c. 1789
John Eversley House  
c. 1790
John Barnes House  
c. 1790
The Reed House  
c. 1790
Elizabeth Sears House  
c. 1790
William Bouton House  
c. 1800
Benjamin Lockwood House  
c. 1803
 
The Aaron Olmstead House c. 1868
     
Samuel Street House  
c. 1803
Lewis Raymond Sr. House  
1810
The Cotton Factory  
c. 1810
Samuel Richards House  
c. 1815
Phebe Comstock House  
c. 1824
Downtown District Schoolhouse  
1826
Giles Gregory House  
1829
Lewis Raymond Jr. House  
c. 1829
Harriet Platt House  
1835
Norwalk Town House  
1835
Mary Austin House  
c. 1835
LeGrand Johnson House  
1839
William H. Wilcox House  
1839
Charles Olmstead House  
c. 1840
David M. Fillow House  
c. 1840
Rosewell Hyatt House  
c. 1840
 
Lewis Tuttle House  
c. 1841
Rufus Rider House  
c. 1841
Onesimus Brown Cottage  
c. 1844
Chittim-Howell House  
1849
John & Hannah Weed House  
c. 1850
Henry Johnson House  
1852
Weed-Stevens House  
c. 1855
Ira Ford Hoyt House  
c. 1856
Norwalk Methodist Church  
1860
Broad River School House  
1861
The Trolley Barn  
c. 1864
Stephen Henry House  
c. 1865
Christina & Henry Ely House  
1867
Silas Gregory House  
c. 1868
Aaron Olmstead House  
c. 1868
West Norwalk Chapel  
1868
     
 
Clayton & Ethel Gregory House  
1869
Charles Reynolds House  
c. 1870
The Merrill House  
c. 1870
The Gate Keeper’s Lodge  
1870
No. Five Mile River Schoolhouse  
1872
Henry Selleck House  
c. 1880
Friend-Pesak House  
1883
Scam-Rosenfield House  
1890
Henry S. Lockwood House  
1891
Buttery-Culpeper House  
c. 1895
Mary & Fred. Saunders House  
1896
Cable-Gutherie House  
1896
The Merrill House c. 1870
     
  Back to top